Tuesday, June 8, 2021

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. People think pleasing God is all God cares about.But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back."

This is the story of Celie, a black girl born in poverty and segregation set in the American South.She is married to an older abusive man she never knew which resulted in her separation with her dear sister Nettie.Life becomes exhausting as Nettie was the only one Celie cared about!

"I'm poor, black , i may even be ugly, but dear god , I'm here! I'm here!"

Celie then decides to write letters to the God as it seemed the only way for her to be in a comfortable place until she found an unlikely ally in Shug Avery , who happened to be the long time mistress of her husband.
Shug helped make Celie realise importance of having a voice in the society full of treacherous men , eventually leading to Celie finding her unexplained feelings towards Shug.

This book has it all, strong plot, unforgettable characters ,sense of love ,loss, suffering and a true meaning of happiness.I devoured the story of Celie , boldness of Shug, Strength of Sofia. Alice has done a great job in writing these characters!

TW: Sexism , Sexual & Psychological Abuse, Racism

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mountains Sing by Nguyên Phan Quê Mai

"I realised that war was monstrous.If it didn't kill those it touched , it took away a piece of their souls, so they co...